The Museum
Contact Us
Stanley History
Photo Galleries
Recent History
Order the Books
Topic Index
Site Index
Related Links

The History of Stanley, North Carolina Back ] Next ]
The 1700's ] Early 1800 ] 1850 to 1900 ] [ Early 1900 ] 1950 and After ]

The 1900's

Downtown Stanley sometime just after the turn of the 20th Century. This is a picture of the buildings on the West side of the railroad.

Up Early 1900 The 1920's Stanley Airport The 1930's The 1940's After War Years

1900 and After

It appears that the beginning of the year 1900 brought much building and abundant changes in the town of Stanley Creek. Work had begun on building the new brick church for Christ's Lutheran, and lumber had been placed at the location for the new Methodist Conference backed school building which would soon be erected, as reported in the Gastonia Gazette of 16 August 1900. It was also stated that "for the first time in history mail had been received, opened and distributed on Sunday," and this seemed to cause dissatisfaction with some people.
In July of 1910 the people of Stanley Creek gathered in the center of town around the Seaboard Railroad Depot for the annual Picnic Day Celebration.
(Photo courtesy of Elsie Lutz Dellinger)

The Seaboard Airline Railroad was instrumental in assisting towns and villages along the railroad with different forms of entertainment and celebrations for special occasions. At their urging Stanley Creek formed a dramatic club for presenting plays, with local people as actors. Their club was named the Bumba-la Club and their first play was presented to townspeople and visitors on June 14, 1900. Located outdoors on a hillside, the area was decorated with flowers and an arched gateway with seats in a circular fashion. Refreshments were served by little girls of the community. Actors in the first play were Maggie Howell, Viola and Bertie Peterson, Elise Ramsey, Carrie McLurd and Frank Hovis, Robert Abernethy, Howard Thompson, Lucius McKeown, Frank Carpenter and Loy Thompson.

Religion was an integral and dominating factor in the daily lives of Stanley Creek residents in 1900. Pastors in the area were Rev. R. H. Wilson of the Presbyterian faith; Rev. J. H. West, Methodist Episcopal; Rev. J. C. Havnaer of the Baptist; Rev. Mr. Padgett was a Wesleyan Methodist; and the United Bretheren had protracted meetings in tents on occasion. Many times there were union meetings in which people of all faiths congregated at the same location for services. Itinerant or tent preachers came to town often and pitched their tents. Union revivals were held; one was mentioned to have gone on every night for five weeks. Pastors were looked upon with the utmost regard by townspeople and many named their children after a much loved pastor. Most articles in the newspaper from the local area began with excerpts from the sermons that had been preached at the various churches.

Railroad Agents

Charlie Fox Smith and Frank Carpenter were Agents for the Seaboard Airline Railroad in Stanley Creek in 1900.

New Methodist School

The new Stanley Creek Institute, a school backed by the Methodist Conference, was completed in November of 1900. Townspeople celebrated with a rally and speakers. The school opened with 137 pupils.
See Schools

Up ] Early 1900 ] The 1920's ] Stanley Airport ] The 1930's ] The 1940's ] After War Years ]

The 1700's Early 1800 1850 to 1900 Early 1900 1950 and After
The Museum ] Contact Us ] Stanley History ] Photo Galleries ] Citizens ] Recollections ] Schools ] Churches ] Community ] Recent History ] Order the Books ] Topic Index ] Site Index ] Search ] Acknowledgments ] Related Links ] Guestbook ]

Once again there was a name change in effect for the town which began as Brevard Station. In 1911 our town's name was changed by legislative act, to be called Stanley.










Back Home Up Next