The Seaboard Railway was still sending trains through Stanley. The
system was primarily used for hauling freight, however, one passenger car was
attached to the freight cars once each day. This passenger car was used by
many citizens, especially for group excursions. In 1950, though, the
passenger service was discontinued and the Seaboard Rail cars were used
exclusively for freight.
On 16 November 1956 Baucom's Nursery and Grading Company was given a contract to build the Reservoir for Stanley's Water System. This is located at the end of Devine Street and next to Hoyle' Creek. At this location on the creek is a concrete dam and every year in late winter or early spring a phenomenon of nature occurs. Fish called Suckers are spawning and swim upstream from the Catawba River into the South Fork River and then into Hoyle's Creek and upon reaching the dam attempt to leap over to return to the location of their birth.
The decision was made to begin laying sewer
lines in the town of Stanley in 1947. By 1958 most
people were connected to the sewer system, however,
there were some not yet connected. Four hundred and
forty seven homes were connected to the system; 69
homes had septic tanks; 40 homes still had outside toilets in the town limits. Outside the town limits were
53 outdoor toilets.
More New Sidewalks
In September of 1960 an ordinance was
passed by the Town Board authorizing the placement
of traffic lights at the corner of Hwy 27 and East
Chestnut Streets, the corner of East College and Hwy
27, and at the intersection of Plum and Thompson
Open Heart Surgery on TV
In 1960 the concept of open heart surgery was
new and was achieving much success in saving lives.
A young girl from Stanley, Betty Sue Hilton, required
that type of surgery because of an open valve in her
heart. At that time Charlotte Television stations were
experimenting with showing actual live surgeries and
Betty Sue's surgery was one that was shown on local
TV in February of 1960. Her parents were Mr. & Mrs.
Boyd Hilton who lived on West Third Street, Stanley.
First Stanley Newspaper
The Stanley News rolled off the press in December of 1961. Bill Arp was the Editor. In 1965,
Garland Adkins, president of Gaston Publishing Company, became manager of several newspapers,
including The Stanley News.
Christmas Lights for Town
In December of 1961 a string of Christmas Balls which lit up were strung in the center of town, the
first Christmas lights for Stanley in known history, decorations were hung on the telephone poles in
town, all in an effort to make the town more beautiful during the holidays.
House to House Mail Delivery
In November, 1965 the postmaster, Lee Cherry, announced that house to house delivery would begin in
town. The individual houses and lots had been numbered a few months prior. This new house to house
service had been brought about because of the increase in population in the Stanley area. The Stanley
Post Office served around 2,500 homes in 1949 and had increased to 6,000 in 1965.
The town hall, on the corner of West Carpenter and South Main Streets, was actually built in 1949 on
the Finger property. Architectural plans for the original one story building were drawn by Alfred
Rhyne. On 7 February 1949 the contract to build was given to Glen Stroupe and the building was completed