Stanley Lion's Club
Stanley Lion's Club was organized on 11 September 1944. It's purpose was to help others, particularly
The first meetings were held in the Stanley Methodist Church. The Lions Club joined efforts with the
Stanley Women's Club and built the Community Building and subsequent meetings were held at that
In 1994 the Stanley Lion's Club celebrated their 50th Anniversary. A few of the club's accomplishments
over the past 50 years were recognized as such:
Helped pay for 300 eye exams and glasses for needy children and adults estimated at over $20,000.
Since the beginning of the White Cane project the Lions Club has given several thousand dollars.
Bought at least $75,000 worth of brooms from the Industries of the Blind.
At least a half dozen times contributed money to special cases where an operation was needed.
During the 50th Anniversary Celebration on September 13, 1994, presentation was made transmitting the
Community Building to the Town of Stanley.
The American Legion
The Stanley area Veterans first combined with the Mt. Holly and Belmont Veterans for meetings, but
after the Second World War they organized their own, Post #266. Meetings were held at the old
theater above Dr. Weather's office and occasionally on the grounds of what is now the community
The committee of Charter Members chose Rhyne-Cannon for the name of the post. Neil Cannon was the
first in the area killed in action and Walter "Simon" Rhyne was one of the last to lose his life.
The Legion then around 1949-50 purchased land off old highway 27 and built a small building called
the "Legion Hut."
The legion has many programs first of all to help the community in any project or disaster that is
in progress. They sponsor a yearly Oratorical Contest that could result into a $1,500 state
scholarship or a $25,000 national scholarship. They sponsor Boys State each year, have a State Trooper
course of one week on a yearly basis, sponsor a Baseball Team each year giving many young men a
stepping stone to pro-baseball.
There is also an Auxiliary unit for the ladies. Wives, daughters and granddaughters of Legionaires
can belong to this. It is a hard working group of ladies who sponsor many projects on their own.
In 1975 a new brick building was built for the American Legion near the old "Legion Hut."
In 1924 a Campfire Girls Group had been formed for the girls of Stanley. Miss Edith Mason was their
guardian. Films were shown at the Silent Movie House with proceeds going to finance outings for the
Stanley's Girl Scout Troop met in a little hut behind the George Hacker house. Mrs. Hacker was the scout
leader. This hut was used by the girl scouts for many years until the various churches began
A Boy Scout Troop was organized in Stanley in the latter part of 1926. It is not known how long the
troop was active, for interest seemed to have dwindled and the troop disbanded.
In 1932 or 1933 an attempt was made to re-organize the Boy Scouts of Stanley. "Gump" Hornbuckle
was the new scoutmaster. In a short time the group of boys proved to be extremely mischievous and
Mr. Hornbuckle resigned. Then Walter "Ras" Carpenter accepted the position and he too found the group
too hard to handle, so he resigned and the troop disbanded.
On December 6, 1943 the town voted to no longer sponsor Stanley's Boy Scouts. That responsibility
was then accepted by the Stanley United Methodist Church. Meetings were held in the church basement.
Troop 49 Boy Scouts in Stanley, NC still exists and continues to be sponsored by and to hold their
meetings at the First United Methodist Church.
McLurd Masonic Lodge
After much inter-discussion of the Brethren from Stanley concerning the possibility of forming a
Masonic Lodge in Stanley, a group met once a week, beginning in October 1956, in the office of Edgar Stewart Dellinger to
further discuss the feasibility of promoting a lodge. Momentum increased and several interested
Brethren from other established lodges volunteered to help obtain the Dispensation.
In May 1957 it was decided that the second floor of a building owned by Dr. B. G. Weathers on South
Main Street was a suitable place to hold meetings. In the next meeting, July 5, 1957 officers were
selected and the lodge was named, McLurd Lodge, Honoring the late Brother Lee McLurd of Stanley.
Finally, after inspection of the many-facetted requirements necessary for attainment of numerical
status, McLurd Lodge, U.D., on April 17, 1958, became McLurd Lodge #713.
On April 17, 1974, the Membership decided to change the name of the Lodge from McLurd Lodge #713 to
Stanley Lodge #713.
The Masonic Lodge has been involved in many charitable projects in and around
the Stanley area.
A Woman's Club was organized in Stanley in 1924. It was one of a
collection of Women's Clubs
of America. In 1926, a debating club, The Daniel Webster Society was formed in Stanley and continued
for a few years. It has not been determined how long the club existed. A Civic Club was
organized in Stanley in 1926. Neither the accomplishments nor the duration of the Stanley Civic Club
has been determined. The Beacon Book Club was organized in 1931 meeting once a month, passing
around books and book reviews were given. The first meeting of the Les Seize Ames (Sixteen Friends)
Book Club was on February 1, 1946 at the home of Mrs. Ray Craig (Lois). The object of the club was
to broaden the mental outlook of the membership which was to be limited to sixteen members. The
Fifty Year Anniversary of the group was observed in 1996 with a party at the First Presbyterian
Church. Money raised from the collection of monthly dues is used to help with donations to area
libraries and nursing homes. The Riverside Ladies Home Extension Club in 1939 included members who
lived around the South Fork River and Hoyle's Creek area. Another Home Demonstration Club that
existed in 1939 included members who lived closer into town. The Grow and Show Garden Club was
in existence from 1969 until 1991 and was the group responsible for planting a garden at the "old
depot" location. The S.E.R.F. (Stanley Emergency Relief Fund) began on 18 February 1975 when
a meeting was called for the purpose of coordinating efforts of local churches, businesses, civic
clubs and government to set up one central location where people of a financial or material need
could come for assistance. A warehouse and office was set up in the Town Hall and the name Stanley
Emergency Relief Fund was selected.
[ The Museum ] [ Contact Us ] [ Stanley History ] [ Photo Galleries ] [ Citizens ] [ Recollections ] [ Schools ] [ Churches ] [ Community ] [ Recent History ] [ Order the Books ] [ Topic Index ] [ Site Index ] [ Search ] [ Acknowledgments ] [ Related Links ] [ Guestbook ]