B. J. Cauble in his drugstore on corner of East Chestnut
and Highway 27. It was here that people bought tickets and boarded the Trailways
buses to travel to Charlotte or Lincolnton for shopping, seeing the doctor, etc.
Run by B. J. Cauble, located on the corner of East Chestnut
and Highway 27. This had previously been J. W. Dellinger's Drug Store.
Wilson Rhyne's Sinclair Station
Photo from early 1940's - (later torn down and new station built around 1955) - First managed by Wilton
Morris and then by Wilson Rhyne - was located on the corner of Mt. Holly Road (now
Lucia Road) and the Charlotte Highway (now Highway 27)
Downtown Stanley - 1940's
Aerial view of Stanley sometime in the 1940's. Aerial photo by Bill Hawley.
Outdoor Basketball Court
Playing on the old dirt basketball court in 1936-37. Elementary School that later burned is in
background. Up until 1939 the Stanley School had no gymnasium for inside play.
Gymnasium built in 1939
Stanley School Gymnasium built around 1939 across the road from the elementary school near the
ballpark. Picture taken around 1950.