Jim Handsel in front of his dad's grocery. Jim worked as butcher.
Handsel's Grocery was the first self service grocery in town. Russell Handsel was owner.
The Hammack-Derr Hardware Store was located on the
corner of Highway 27 and East Chestnut Street. George Derr was manager.
Talon Zipper Plant
Talon Zipper Plant Begins Operations in
Stanley in 1953. Stanley Mayor, R. G. "Slick" Rhyne (right) and town officials
welcome Talon and Plant Manager James Hendley to Stanley
Brevard House in 1968
Mt. Tirza - Home of Robert Alfred Brevard and
later his son Alexander Franklin Brevard as it stood in 1968. Home was
unoccupied for many years prior to time of photo and shortly thereafter was
burned by vandals.
Town Hall in 1969
In 1969 an addition was built to the town hall with bays for the rescue and fire
equipment. A second floor was added which housed space for the Town Hall , Police
Department, Fire Department and the Rescue Squad.
Official Seal of the Town Of Stanley
Designed in 1997 by Hanz H. SAItZwedel.
Stanley, A Friendly Place
Mayor Glenn Rhyne and Police
Chief Ralph Handsel stand next to the Stanley city limits sign proclaiming, "Stanley,
A Friendly Place."
The Large Leafed Magnolia
Native to Stanley, discovered by the French botanist, André Michaux in 1785.